Seasonal allergies affect an estimate of 60 million North Americans yearly. So you’re not alone if spring and summer pollens cause you grief.
The pollens cause the body to over-react and produce histamine as a defense mechanism. Histamine in turn creates inflammation, discharge, itchiness and swelling.
The most common triggers to seasonal allergies are grasses and tree pollens (early spring and summer), fungus and ragweed’s (summer and fall).
Hay fever and allergic rhinitis tend to have a familial history, as well as having allergies to certain foods and contact allergies. Secondhand cigarette smoke may also raise the risk of allergies.
Antihistamines are the conventional route most people take to avoid or calm down the allergic symptoms during spring and summer, however if you prefer to eliminate these yearly symptoms, prevention is key!
Healthy steps towards eliminating seasonal allergies:
- Elimination diet-avoid common foods, which increase inflammation (Gluten, wheat, dairy, soy, corn, refined carbohydrates, processed foods) for 30 days.
- Increase Vitamin C to improve immune response. Berries and sprouts are packed with Vitamin C.
- Increase intake of fish oils or wild (not farmed) fish. Research has shown that regular fish consumption before the age of 1 may be associated with reduced risk of allergies during the first 4 years of life.
- Quercitin (a natural antihistamine) found in foods such as apples, berries, grapes, onions, black tea.
- Curcumin- component of turmeric, which act as a potent anti-inflammatory.
- Locally produced honey– eating local honey has been suggested to provide natural protection against pollens.
In office procedures with a Naturopathic Physician include:
- Food and environmental testing
- IV Vitamin therapy for acute and prevention of allergies
- Intramuscular injections of homeopathic solutions
- Personalized treatment plans including quality supplements such as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory’s
- Detox Kits
If you are interested in eliminating your seasonal allergies please book an appointment to have a proper nutritional assessment and individualized detox program from Dr. Dawn Gareau, ND.